Last December I posted about my 2011 goals. Time to check in and see how I did!
2011 Financial Goals RECAP
1. Max out Roth IRA - still in progress
For 2011 I have contributed $3,450 to my Roth IRA so far. Hopefully I can get this $5,000 before May. Still working on it!
2. Finance a vacation in cash - FAIL
The BF and I never made it on a vacation in 2011 :( Well not by ourselves. The only vacation we had was the camping trip in the summer with my family but of course everyone chipped in. This year the BF and I are planning to do a weekend getaway somewhere and maybe just MAYBE a vacation to hawaii finally!
3. Buy my first property as an investment - FAIL
I really wanted to do this but the right place never popped up. We kept looking and we put in one offer just a few days ago, but we didn't get it. Oh well!
4. Contribute as much as possible to my 401K and force the BF to start one - DONE!
I have contributed 5% to my 401k which is what I am comfortable with for right now. BF got a new job this year in January and he was forced to have a 401k! :) Well he could have opted out but he's lazy and he didn't do it. So now he has a 401k and contributes 3%.
5. Never pay interest on my credit card again - DONE!
I believe I stopped doing this last year but thankfully I didn't fall into any consumer debt this year. I pay my credit cards off right away!
6. Save, save and save! - DONE!
I saved a lot in 2011 and I'm excited to save more for 2012. Here's a snapshot of how my year went - this includes all of my savings, 401k, Roths, and employee stocks. The reason for the huge increase from Nov-Dec is because I added my employee stocks to my mint account. I actually started contributing in July so the graph is kind of skewed. But you get the picture!
2011 Personal Goals RECAP
1. Start going to the gym again - DONE!
I am happy to say that I did start going to the gym hardcore in 2011 again. I've always loved working out and I took a lot of new classes. I also started going to a pilates studio. I fell off the wagon in the last few months of the year because I was so busy with studying but I will start up again this month and hope to keep it up!
2. Study for the LSAT and take the test - DONE!
This was a HUGE goal for me since I have been meaning to take the test since 2009. I finally did it on December 3rd as you guys know. I'm still waiting for my score but I am so happy that I finally took it. I was MIAing for a few months and was practically a vampire studying all day and night as well as a zombie with no sleep but it was so worth it!
Since I also forgot to post my 2011 Wrap-Up.... here it is! Read about my 2011 Wrap-Up here!
In a Nutshell: 2011 was Good to Me
- Got a raise at work
- No major expenses or emergencies happened
- No injuries!
- Found a cyst in my ovaries but it was benign
- Didn't buy any expensive designer bags
- Went camping with my family
- Became a godmother in May to my best friend's first baby
- Reached my emergency fund goal of $10,000 - it's almost at $20k now.
- Reached my gift fund goal of $600. It was at $1,000.
- Opened up a new credit card for better rewards and I love it!
- Coordinated the annual alumni basketball/volleyball tournament
- Paid for my LSAT class, took said LSAT class, and took LSAT
- Received my first pair of diamond earrings from the BF for my 24th bday
- Bought my first TV - a 51" Samsung plasma on Black Friday (in cash)
- Bought a PS3 (in cash)
- Finished law school applications
- Reconnected with a lot of old friends
- Spent as much time as I could with family
This year was a really great year for me financially and personally. I hope that this year will be just as amazing! Lastly, I kept blogging and I met a lot of PF bloggers this year. This community is awesome and I'm glad to be a part of it:)