My mom, dad, brother, sister, grandma, and my close cousins and friends all live in northern CA. I was born and raised there, and moved out after high school, so I haven't lived with my parents for the past 8 years (except my short stint after college grad, which lasted 6 months). If I get into school #2 for law school this year, I am seriously thinking about moving back for school but I have a lot to think about. I don't want to make the wrong decision and I don't want to think impulsively or irrationally. I have to really think this through and I could use your advice!
|School #2 (Near home)|
- I would still get to live rent free, and I would get to live with my mom, dad, brother, and sister. I'd have my own room, and my mom agreed that as long as I am in school, she will help me out.
- School #2 is close to my house and there is no traffic. It's about a 5-10 min drive.
- I would be closer to my grandma so I would get to visit often (this one is huge).
- I would be in school full-time which means I could graduate in 3 years instead of going to school part-time at school #1 and graduating in 4 years.
- I'll be 27 instead of 29 when I graduate.
- I wouldn't have to take the LSAT again in June and reapply in Sept to all the law schools again. This means I wouldn't have to pay for application fees.
- All of my friends live there so I'd get to see them more often.
Cons of Moving Back Home
- School #2 is ranked at 96. It's still a 2nd tier law school like school #1 but #1 is ranked in the 60s.
- I'd have to do a long distance relationship with the BF. It will be difficult but I know we can do it.
- I haven't lived at home in so long, I would have to help with cooking, laundry, and driving the siblings everywhere.
- I don't know if I will be able to study at home because it's always so loud. I'd have to be in the library all the time.
- I wouldn't have a job which means I can't budget and I can't contribute towards retirement.
- I wouldn't have any scholarship money because I applied late. If I retake the LSAT in June and reapply next cycle I could get into school #1 and #2 with at least some scholly money.
- I wouldn't be able to invest in a property yet since I won't be working. I'll have to use the money in my down payment fund for living expenses.
- I want to work and live where I live now in the future so obviously a degree from #1 would be better than a school #2 degree.
- #1 has a highly ranked tax law program, which is what I'm leaning towards.
- I'd have to quit my job...like by July of this year! I really like my job and can see myself here for awhile and possibly move up if I got my law degree and passed the bar. That's a huge IF because I have no idea how the company will be in 3 years. However, I know there will always be other opportunities out there.
|School #1 (where I live now)|
I haven't been accepted to school #2 yet but I have a feeling I will be because my stats are in the ballpark of those of applicants that have already been accepted. I am just trying to think ahead because the seat deposit is due on May 1st. That's less than a month away.
I know I listed a lot of cons to moving back home if I got into school #2, but being near my family is very important to me. I always get homesick whenever I leave them, and my siblings will only be young once. They are 15 and 12. I will always have the opportunity to work later and to climb the corporate ladder. Yet, I know it will be difficult to leave the life I have started in the city I am now. I am completely torn.
My BF obviously would like me to stay, but he says that it is ultimately my decision and he will have to support me depending on what decision I make. I think a huge factor will be what my mom thinks regarding my financial situation if I move back into their house.
What do you guys think? I could really use your advice.